Saturday, March 21, 2015
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
8 x 10 inches, matted in white to fit an 11 x 14 frame.
Click to Bid/Buy coming soon
Monday, March 16, 2015
Everywhere in Crested Butte, one see bikes. Sun, rain, sleet, snow; -they are like the postman, out in all weather.
This little gem was outside the courthouse, and so pretty in the sunlight, that I knew I had to paint it.
Click to Bid/Buy
Title: Winter Townie
Size: 10 x 8 inches
14 x 11 inch mat, unframed
Monday, July 28, 2014
I bought the Stanley 20-800 Contractor Grade Clamping Mitre Box to cut 4" diameter mailing tubes. It works great. It pushes the limit for height on but does fit. This seems so much safer than using a utility knife or power tool.
I follow up the cut with a couple of quick pulls of a fine sanding block and pop a cap on one side for quick loading of the tube and so I don't have to store as many caps. Initially, I ordered 24" tubes from ULine.com, but the 36" tubes were cheaper so by cutting down a 36", I can get a 24" tube, a 12" tube and extra caps for less than a 24" tube.
I purchased mailing tubes and extra caps from ULine and the saw from Amazon.com.
Monday, July 14, 2014
Friday, April 18, 2014
Thursday, April 17, 2014
This has taken many hours, much longer than I thought. Tomorrow.
I'm learning the value of washed out greys. They are lovely to put a drop of color in. I'm also learning to go back and soften egdes that were to dark. Using strathford paper is working well, as it forces me to limit lifting out areas.
Monday, April 14, 2014
Sunday, April 13, 2014
Paper: Stratford 400 140 lb. WC artist grade paints (Daniel Smith and Winsor & Newton): Phthalocyanine blue (RS) for shadows and UMB for shadows. Viridian, carmine and cobalt for atmospheric colors. Quinacrodone gold, Cadmiun orange, quinacrodone burnt orange and quinacrodone burnt scarlet for warm colors. Phthalocyanine green (YS) for my greens and finally titanium, embarrassingly, to cover up my mistakes in the focal area.
The drawing took forever.. I obviously need to spend more drawing. Ha! I spent so much time erasing that I was certain the watercolor paper would be damaged. The painting went fast at times and slow at others. My attempts were to do mostly wet-in-wet with a decent drawing to create boundaries. Tomorrow is another day.
24hrs later: Brian really likes this but I am very unsatisfied. It took to long and I overworked many areas. It's most likely a matter of experience with the medium. I think I'll focus on individual aspects of this and try again later in the week.
Saturday, April 12, 2014
Friday, April 11, 2014
Value study below.
24 hours later, the pathway shadows are to dark. Focal area is confusing.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Started with a diluted wash of cobalt on top and cadmium orange on the bottom. Background is lovely...diluted mixture of atmospheric colors: carmine (basically alizarine crimson substitute), cobalt and viridian. The foreground is disappointingly darker that I prefer. The path turned out nice. The focal point is supposed to be the water on the rocks...
It's not awful.